NB the deadline for applications is May 29th 2015...
- active in social movement struggles but need space to stand back, reflect, recharge?
- committed to community activism but frustrated by where the community sector is going?
- trying to see a way forward for radical education in a cold climate?
- politically minded but don’t know how to turn that into an effective and radical practice?
- involved in NGO or trade union activism but feel trapped by the structures?
- concerned about the cooption of community and other groups and wondering how to reorganise?
- clear that social change is central to you but unsure how to build a life around it?
- interested in spending a year with experienced activists and community educators?
We don’t just learn within the classroom: we organise joint events with a wide range of community groups and social movements in Ireland as well as running events with international activists like Selma James, John Holloway, Hilary Wainwright, Firoze Manji, Jane McAlevey, John Krinsky, Eurig Scandrett, Rhetta Moran …
This year we've been involved in organising the Grassroots Gathering in Drimnagh, a series of training events for union and community activists with Jane McAlevey, a two-day seminar "Think hope, think crisis" with John Holloway, an oral history walking tour of inner-city Dublin with Terry Fagan, a PhD-level seminar on "social movements and collective agency" from early 19th century rural struggles to Occupy in Ireland and Oakland and a field trip to "Alternative Futures and Popular Protest" and the People's History Museum in Manchester.
The course has been widely acclaimed by researchers and activists around the world: this year alone our staff have been invited speakers everywhere from the People's Forum in Erris to Kyoto University and from the European University Institute in Fiesole to the Radical Summer School in Iceland - and we're developing exchange arrangements with colleges in Oxford and Mexico....
Fees and funding info: http://ceesa-ma.blogspot.ie/2015/04/contact-us-how-to-apply-fees-and.html
Contact the Dept of Adult and Community Education at firstname.lastname@example.org or (01) 7083937